Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Hey, 
I SAW ELDER LAWRIE THIS WEEK. 
We had a leadership conference on Wednesday, usually it's only only for Zone Leaders, but this time they let the district leaders come. And Elder Lawrie was there! My camera is still not working, but the mission took a picture of the conference. They should have emailed it out, but I think they forgot. Gah! But it was awesome seeing him again and talking with him and just being with the Elder. He goes home TOMORROW! Holy Smokes! 

In other news, my glasses haven't come just yet. Well, they probably have, but we haven't gotten mail just yet. Thursday will be the day. I found my other ones, and are making do with them. 

There is a Tongan drink called "otai". Mom, you must learn how to make this. Go find a Tongan, and learn. It's like the national drink of all Mormon Tongans. It's the "funeral potatoes" of Tonga. Ask any Tongan, and if they are really Tongan, they'll know. It's awesome. 

Jake and Hyrum! Get yourself some Adizero Smokes. Don't let Nike fool you, Adidas is the way to go. How do I know this? I'm in cleat (boot) heaven. All the polynesians use Adizeros. TO PLAY RUGBY. Adidas has got it goin on. I'm only wearing Adidas from now on! 

So, this week has been awesome. I've been applying Dad and Mom's advice. In doing so it has removed a huge burden from my shoulders. It's unreal how much better things are. This is part of what I am learning: 
Satan was playing a "smoke and mirrors" game with me. He had me focused on what appeared to be a huge issue, and in doing so, my attention was being drawn away from what was really going on. He was distracting me from the REAL flaxen cords I was getting wrapped up in. As I trusted the Savior this week, He helped me see what was really happening. Because I had my attention on this apparently insurmountable concern, I was missing the real concerns of pride, comparison, jealousy, discouragement, and fear. When my attention was removed from this big issue, I was able to sort of get my feet under me and ask, "What is really going on here? What is the man behind the curtain really doing?" And in taking this question to the Lord, He showed me, line upon line and precept upon precept. Notice the stark difference between how He did it and how I was being distracted. Through prayer, the scriptures, and service, He showed me the roots of my unhappiness, and with this, He showed me my personal solution. 

Now, I know this is a type and pattern. This is one template the devil uses to build our unhappiness. This needs to be recognized and removed. I do not believe that with our own power it can be fully recognized and fully removed. We must rely on divine assistance. I have grown closer to the Savior this week than I was the week before. I believe the Savior will allow Satan to put on his "presentation" so He can show us, and also so that we can see and experience for ourselves, just how hollow and unfruitful the devil's tactics really are. We can either choose to be enticed and drawn in by this "magic show" of the devil, or we can choose to have faith in and rely on the Savior and His power. If we aren't choosing one, then we are choosing the other. 

Love you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment