Tuesday, October 22, 2013



 This is the Persian family that we're teaching English








 This is a house with 3 identical cars out front. They must've gotten them on a deal. It reminded me of something Dad would do. haha. If it's a deal, heck get 3! so awesome. 




Elder Tibbitts sent us a photo of his stylin new haircut....he says it's due to "thinning hair"....we think he just wants to look like a tough missionary  :)  

A tid bit from his email to us:  
"I yearn to do family history with my whole heart, and I am just going to roll in it after returning home."






Jack, currently known as Grandpa Jack.  
We've adopted him  :)


Last night Jack (the 88 year old scottish man we visit) accepted the commitment to be baptized on the 2nd of November, which is really a miracle. I've been seeing him every night for 3 months, and even I thought that the only way he'd be baptized is by proxy after he had passed away. It's also another miracle that we decided to visit him when we did. Jack never married, he decided to travel the world instead. He doesn't have any family in New Zealand, and he doesn't have any living family in the world (besides great-nieces and nephews). 


I first met Jack the 2nd day I was in the field, and he was pretty depressed, which of course made me depressed. I didn't want to go back to his house. A week later when we went back (I had only been serving for 8 days), he looked even more depressed. He doesn't have any real relationships. It was hard for me to visit him when I was feeling so crappy inside, but I told Jack that night that we would come visit him every night at 8 o'clock from that day on. He told us a few weeks ago that if we hadn't have made the offer to visit him daily, he might have just taken extra sleeping pills and drifted into the spirit world. 

So, one lesson to be learned is that he Lord will use us in our weakness to help someone else in an even weaker position.

"The best antidote I know for worry is work.  The best medicine for despair is service.  The best cure for weariness is the challenge of helping someone who is even more tired."
---President Gordon B. Hinckley

Elder Tibbitts is still having issues with his cheek.  
(although he didn't really want me to mention it...sorry Elder....I love you!!!)  

Any and all prayers will be really helpful to him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment