For one reason or another, this week has flown by. It's kind of weird thinking that it's already Monday!
This week has been a kind of "in the trenches" week. I've learned a lot, but it's been a tough week. Even though it was tough, here are some of the things that I'm learning:
I have learned a great deal from Matthew 6:21, and it has helped me to see that my happiness is directly related to my treasure. I also think it is important to note that three verses later it says "ye cannot serve God and mammon." What a great connection!
I gained two new perspectives on verses I previously read. First is 2nd Nephi 4:21. I have always thought, "Of course Nephi can say that he'll continue trusting in God! He's felt the the love of God strong enough to consume his flesh, just like Ammon and King Lamoni did! If I had an experience like that, it would be way easy to trust in the Lord!" But as I read it again this week, I was taught something much more meaningful! For the first time, I read the verse as "...unto the consuming of my flesh." This time, I understood 'flesh' to refer to the natural man! In that light, Nephi felt the love of God strong enough to the consuming of his natural man tendencies and desires. Feeling the love of God helped him put off the natural man! How true that is!
While reading 1 Corinthians 13, I learned something else different. Paul says that even if he spoke with the tongue of angels, has the gift of prophesy, and has all faith, but has not charity, he is nothing. I am finding that it doesn't matter how many things I accomplish or achieve, if I don't have charity, then I feel like I am nothing! At least for myself, it won't necessarily matter how many things I accomplish or things I achieve, it will never be enough without having charity. In this way, I think charity really can "bear all things, believe all things, hope all things, and endure all things." It really "never faileth"!
I'm learning that in my relationship with Elder Larson, with investigators, and with members of the church, if I am not being genuine and loving, it won't matter what I do or say, it will be of very little significance. Elder Larson is a great lover - he has a natural ability to love everyone! The Spirit is present when he teaches because he is kind.
I've never really liked the phrase, "actions speak louder than words", I think it is a little cliche! But I am learning that one fantastic opportunity for the Holy Ghost to testify to someone of the truthfulness of the gospel is when an investigator (or anyone) sees the power of the gospel in action in the life of the missionary. By their fruits ye shall know them, and if in our personal demeanor and attitude we are showing love, peace, joy, happiness, then the Holy Ghost will bear witness of the truthfulness of those things! We can't fake the real thing, and the real thing is real!
Dad sent me an email by Elder Holland like 8 months ago, and Elder Holland says, "discouragement has a germ of its own" My happiness can and should be independent of my current situation!
Love ya heaps!
Elder Tibbitts :)
No comments:
Post a Comment